6:00 PM ET, October 6, 2007
Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois
• Summary: The Diamondbacks defeated the Cubs at Wrigley Field to complete a three-game sweep of Chicago and advance to the franchise's second NLCS in its 10-year history.
• Hero: Livan Hernandez allowed five hits and a run in six innings. He also induced three of the D-backs' four double plays.
• Unsung hero: Chris Young provided Arizona with a lightning-quick start, nailing a home run on the game's first pitch. It was his only hit of the game.
• Will it ever end? It's 99 years and counting since the Cubs won their last World Series.
• Figure this: Cubs RBI leader Aramis Ramirez went 0-for-12 for the series.
• Quotable: "We have guys who are ready to win. We've already exceeded expectations so far and we're going to continue to do so." -- Eric Byrnes
-- ESPN.com news services
Diamondbacks 5, Cubs 1
Well, that was quick. Another Chicago playoff berth meant only another rude sweep from the postseason. A look at the Cubs' all-time playoff flops:
The Diamondbacks are trying to make it to their second World Series, after winning their first in 2001.
|2001||Beat Yankees, 4-3|
|2001||Beat Braves, 4-1|
|2007||Beat Cubs, 3-0|
|2002||Lost to Cardinals, 3-0|
|2001||Beat Cardinals, 3-2|
|1999||Lost to Mets, 3-1|
This is the Diamondbacks' fourth postseason appearance. ... Ernie Banks threw out the first pitch. ... Wrigley Field's outfield was re-sodded. During the last homestand of the season both the Cincinnati Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates had criticized the condition of the grass.
|1st||C Young homered to left.||1||0|
|1st||J Upton singled to right, S Drew scored, M Reynolds to third.||2||0|
|4th||E Byrnes grounded into fielder's choice to third, M Montero scored, C Young out at second, L Hernandez to third.||3||0|
|4th||J Kendall grounded out to shortstop, M DeRosa scored.||3||1|
|6th||E Byrnes homered to left.||4||1|
|9th||S Drew homered to right.||5||1|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL|
|Attendance||42,157 (102.8% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||82 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Greg Gibson, First Base - Mike Everitt, Second Base - Mike Reilly, Third Base - Mark Carlson|