Cardinals agree with David Freese
JUPITER, Fla. -- Postseason stars David Freese and Allen Craig will make slightly more than the major league minimum this season for the St. Louis Cardinals, who agreed to one-year contracts with 24 players.
Freese, the NL championship series and World Series MVP, will make $508,000, just $28,000 above the minimum of $480,000. If the 28-year-old third baseman from St. Louis County is optioned to the minors he'd make $249,600.
Craig also gets a split contract. He will make $495,000 in the majors and $248,400 if he is optioned. Craig, who hit three homers in the World Series last year, gives the Cardinals another option in the outfield but will miss at least the first month of the season while recovering from knee surgery.
St. Louis announced the deals Wednesday.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Pineda ejected for foreign substance on neck
- Red Sox shut down Yankees behind Lackey
- D-backs spoil Wrigley's 100th with rally in 9th
- Dodgers ruin Hamels' 1st start of season
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's St. Louis Cardinals Allen Craig Red T-Shirt