Joakim Soria to have elbow checked
Schoenfield: Holland Has The Pitches
Right-hander Greg Holland has the weapons to step in for Joakim Soria as the Royals' closer, writes David Schoenfield. SweetSpot
Soria left Sunday's game after retiring only one of five batters he faced and said after the outing that his elbow felt "really bad."
Royals spokesman Mike Swanson said Monday the team believes Soria has some damage in the area of his ulnar collateral ligament.
Soria had Tommy John surgery on his elbow in 2003. He has been one of the best relievers in the American League since his rookie season of 2007, but his performance fell off last year. His ERA jumped to 4.03 and he had 28 saves, but lost the closer's job at times.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Tanaka leads Yanks; 28 K's in 1st 3 games
- Astros call up prized outfield prospect Springer
- Dodgers' Ramirez leaves with hand injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Kansas City Royals Classic Frozen Rope Bracelet