Royals' Joakim Soria out for season
Karabell: Who Closes for K.C. Now?
Eric Karabell discusses the fantasy options for saves in the Royals' bullpen with Joakim Soria injured.
The surgery is scheduled for April 3.
Soria made the decision Friday after being examined by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., for a third opinion. He had already been diagnosed with right elbow ligament damage by the Royals physicians and Dr. Lewis Yocum, who will perform the surgery in Los Angeles.
Soria left the game Sunday against Cleveland with pain in his elbow. Soria, a two-time All-Star, who has 160 saves the past five seasons, also missed the 2003 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Kansas City Royals Royal Change Up T-Shirt