Aaron Thompson facing suspension
No penalty has been announced by the commissioner's office involving the 25-year-old left-hander, who is not on the Twins' 40-man major league roster. Thompson still has time to appeal.
General manager Terry Ryan said Saturday that suspension involved "recreational drug use."
Taken by the Florida Marlins with the 22nd pick on the first round of the 2005 amateur draft, Thompson made his major league debut with Pittsburgh last year, when he had a 7.04 ERA in one start and four relief appearances.
Says Ryan: "We're going to keep him. He's just suspended without pay. When you got 160 kids -- and this guy is not a kid -- there is no excuse. So we're going to take care of it. I'm disappointed in that."
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Stanton's walk-off GS lifts Marlins over M's
- Pujols belts No. 497 in Angels' rout of Tigers
- Mets trade 1B Davis to Pirates for reliever
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Miami Marlins 59Fifty Road Orange Authentic Hat