Vladimir Guerrero works out in DR
"Guerrero was here today at the Indians' academy in Bocachica," said one source. "There seems to be a genuine interest by the Indians to see if he can help the team."
One source indicated the 2004 AL MVP was in good shape during the tryout, which was observed, among others, by Ramon Pena, Indians' director of operations on the island.
Pena declined to comment and didn't wanted to confirm the meeting. Guerrero's agents did not return calls by ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com.
Guerrero, 37, has a .318 batting average with 449 homers and 1,496 RBIs over 16 MLB seasons.
The nine-time All-Star batted .290 with 13 homers and 65 RBIs last season with the Baltimore Orioles.
Fernando Cuza, Guerrero's agent, recently said that his client would be willing to try his luck in Japan if he couldn't find a spot with a major league team before the season starts.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Oft-injured Prior retires, eyes front-office job
- Sources: Tigers close to deal with OF Davis
- Source: White Sox, Dodgers wait on Uribe
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Baltimore Orioles Nick Markakis #21 Home White Replica Jersey