Giants' Freddy Sanchez, others on DL
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The San Francisco Giants have released infielder Mike Fontenot and placed second baseman Freddy Sanchez on the 15-day disabled list along with pitchers Ryan Vogelsong, Eric Surkamp and Dan Runzler.
San Francisco's moves Friday for Sanchez, Surkamp and Runzler are retroactive to Monday, while Vogelsong's move is retroactive to Tuesday.
Vogelsong, who emerged as an unlikely All-Star last season when he joined the rotation to fill in for injured lefty Barry Zito, strained his back lifting weights last month before arriving to spring training.
Sanchez had hoped to be ready for Opening Day after undergoing labrum surgery on his right shoulder last summer and missing the rest of the 2011 season.
The lefty Surkamp has a strained flexor tendon in his pitching elbow, while Runzler has a strained lat muscle.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Jeter ties Yaz for seventh on all-time hits list
- Papi's pitch: Red Sox shouldn't trade Lester
- Archer on Papi: Never saw Aaron flip his bat
- Lane change: Ex-OF gets first start for Padres
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's San Francisco Giants Dri-FIT Combat Legend Black Performance T-Shirt