Fernando Rodriguez has surgery
The team said before Thursday's exhibition at the San Francisco Giants that the procedure had no complications. The surgery was performed Wednesday by Dr. Thomas Mehlhoff at the Texas Orthopedic Hospital in Houston.
Rodriguez will rejoin the A's on Saturday to begin his rehabilitation process. Typical recovery time is 12 to 18 months.
Rodriguez was acquired from the Houston Astros along with Jed Lowrie for Chris Carter, Brad Peacock and minor leaguer Max Stassi on Feb. 4. He had a 10.13 ERA in four spring training games with the A's before he was shut down after experiencing discomfort during an appearance on March 11.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2013 SEASON PREVIEW
- Antigua Women's Oakland Athletics Full-Zip Black Discover Jacket