Tyler Colvin's deal with O's on hold

Updated: January 22, 2014, 8:43 PM ET
By Jerry Crasnick | ESPN.com

For the second time this offseason, a Baltimore Orioles free-agent signing is in jeopardy over issues related to a physical exam.

A deal with outfielder Tyler Colvin, who reached agreement with the Orioles on a one-year contract last week, is on hold because the team has issues with his physical, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

In December the Orioles made news when they backed out of a two-year, $15 million deal with free agent closer Grant Balfour, reportedly over concerns about his wrist and knee. Balfour went back on the market and is still looking for a home.

Colvin, 28, is a .241 hitter over parts of five big-league seasons with the Chicago Cubs and Colorado Rockies. Chicago picked him out of Clemson with the 13th overall selection in the 2006 draft.

The Orioles signed Colvin last week with the intent of throwing him into the left field mix in spring training with Delmon Young, David Lough and several other new acquisitions this winter.

Colvin suffered a collapsed lung in 2010 when he was struck in the chest by a piece of a broken bat, and last season he was bothered by a disc problem in his back. But a source said the outfielder has been working out regularly five days a week in Arizona this winter.

Jerry Crasnick | email

ESPN.com MLB Sr. Writer

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.


ALSO SEE

MORE MLB HEADLINES

MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM