Mariners to induct Lou Piniella
SEATTLE -- The Seattle Mariners will induct former manager Lou Piniella into the team Hall of Fame on Aug. 9.
Piniella will become the eighth member inducted. The team inducted former outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. last season.
Piniella was Seattle's manger from 1993-2002. He led Seattle to its first division title in 1995 when the Mariners rallied late in the season to win the AL West. Piniella was also in charge in 2001 when Seattle matched the major league record with 116 wins in the regular season.
For his career in Seattle, Piniella was 840-711. His .542 winning percentage with the Mariners was the highest of his managerial stops.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The defending champion Red Sox sit atop our Future Power Rankings.
- Majestic Men's Seattle Mariners Robinson Cano #22 Navy T-Shirt