Colby Rasmus out with stiff neck
Rasmus was set to bat seventh, but opted to sit as a precaution. He does not expect it to be a long-term issue and hopes to return in a "couple days."
"I feel all right, I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning," Rasmus said. "I got a little crick in my neck and it's just one of those things that after throwing and warming up, I just felt like I needed to take myself out."
Rasmus hit .276 with 22 home runs and 66 RBIs last season.
Anthony Gose took Rasmus' place in center field in the exhibition game.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
- Indians recall Salazar to start against Twins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Cubs are at the top of Keith Law's list of the top five minor league farm systems.
- Majestic Men's Authentic New York Yankees Derek Jeter Navy Cool Base Batting Practice Jersey