Jaime Garcia hit on elbow
General manager John Mozeliak said Monday that Garcia had some significant swelling right after the game, but it had "gone down quite a bit" by morning.
Garcia has been on the DL all season with an injured shoulder. He was hit on the left elbow while batting Sunday with Double-A Springfield, forcing him out of the game after two innings and 28 pitches.
Speaking before the Cardinals played in Atlanta, Mozeliak said Garcia may just need a few days off. The team is hoping he can pitch again by next Sunday or Monday.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Headley wins it in 14th of debut with Yanks
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Jeter becomes Yanks' all-time doubles leader
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Cubs are at the top of Keith Law's list of the top five minor league farm systems.
- Majestic Youth St. Louis Cardinals Authentic Collection Change Up Red Fleece Hoodie