Royals place Jason Vargas on DL
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Royals placed left-hander Jason Vargas on the disabled list after an appendectomy and recalled reliever Louis Coleman from Triple-A Omaha before Thursday night's game against Detroit.
Vargas began experiencing pain early Wednesday in Tampa, and underwent the procedure later in the day. He remained in Florida after the Royals beat the Rays to wrap up their series.
Vargas is off to the best start of his nine-year big league career. He's 8-4 with 3.31 ERA in 19 starts, solidifying a rotation that lost Ervin Santana to free agency last season.
Coleman was a dominant reliever for the Royals last season, but he had an unsightly 6.41 ERA with the club this season. He's been in Omaha trying to rediscover his form.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
- Jays call up top pitching prospect Sanchez
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Cubs are at the top of Keith Law's list of the top five minor league farm systems.
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Authentic Atlanta Braves Freddie Freeman #5 Cool Base Home White Jersey w/ Patch