Barry Zito sprains ankle in rehab start
Zito was already on the disabled list with a sprained right foot that has hampered him since April. The latest injury occurred on a fielding play Saturday night, and he was helped off the field by trainers.
"I saw a picture of the ankle, and it's pretty bad," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Sunday. "It's really swollen. It looks like there's a baseball in there, so this looks like it's going to be quite awhile."
Zito is 3-4 in nine starts for the Giants this season with an ERA of 5.62.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Turner Licensing San Francisco Giants AT&T Park 2014 Wall Calendar