Phillies put Jimmy Rollins on DL
Rollins hurt his right groin in Sunday's game against the Washington Nationals.
"Soooooo this is what we got...mild grade 2 strain. DL," Rollins tweeted. In a follow-up tweet, Rollins said, "Gone till September........."
On Monday afternoon the Phillies released a statement announcing the news.
To fill Rollins' spot on the roster, the team has activated third baseman Placido Polanco. Polanco had been on the DL with a sports hernia since early August.
Rollins, the former NL MVP had never been on the DL before 2008, but this is his fourth stint in four years. He's hitting .268 with 14 homers, 58 RBIs and 28 stolen bases and has just five errors this season.
Shane Victorino replaced Rollins in the leadoff spot.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Philadelphia Phillies Winning Hit Red T-Shirt