Cardinals activate infielder Nick Punto

Updated: September 6, 2011, 6:21 PM ET
Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Infielder Nick Punto has been activated from the 15-day disabled list by the St. Louis Cardinals.

The 33-year-old Punto rejoined the roster Tuesday after missing 36 games because of a strained left oblique. He was out earlier this season with a sports hernia and a right forearm injury.

Punto said this offseason he may alter his training routine, perhaps emphasizing speed and flexibility over strength. He's been bothered by injuries the last two seasons and believed the oblique injury was connected to the sports hernia.

"I think I'm just going to take a step back and adjust some of the things I've done the last two offseasons," Punto said. "Really focus on running, that kind of stuff. Maybe Yoga. Pilates for sure."

He was batting .271 with 13 RBIs in 44 games, with 21 starts at second base, three at third base and three at shortstop. Manager Tony La Russa gave no assurances Punto would get a lot of playing time.

"He's been gone for a while," La Russa said. "Just watch the games and whatever we need, we've got plenty of reinforcements."

Punto was 3 for 15 in a five-game injury rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Memphis. He was not in the lineup Tuesday night against the Milwaukee Brewers.

"I want to help the team however I can," Punto said. "I don't know how many at-bats are going to be here for me, but I'll be at the end of the bench ready to go."


Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press