Prince Fielder discusses Brewers future

Updated: September 15, 2011, 12:01 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

All-Star first baseman Prince Fielder confirmed Wednesday what Milwaukee Brewers fans have feared -- that this season is "probably the last year" with the Brewers.

Fielder, in an interview with TBS, said, "I'm signed for this year, but being real about it, it is probably the last year."

He confirmed his feelings Wednesday to reporters after the Brewers' 6-2 loss to Colorado.

"It's the same thing I've been saying," Fielder said. "That's what you guys said last year. Probably. It is what it is."

The Brewers have ridden the potent combination of Fielder and outfielder Ryan Braun to the top of the NL Central this season. But Fielder, when asked about keeping that duo together, said he didn't see it in the future.

"It's been great, unfortunately, this is probably the last year of the one-two punch... But I think it's been good, (five) years, him and me. Hopefully, we can go out with a blast," Fielder said.

Fielder, who was hitting .295 with 32 home runs and 109 RBIs, is one of the top contenders for the NL MVP this season.

Braun told TBS he understood Fielder's desire to explore all options in free agency, but was focused on the Brewers' playoff run.

"This game we play is a job, it's a profession," Braun said. "Sometimes I think we lose sight of that which is a good thing. But there's always a business side. Everybody has to do what is in their best interest. ... But for him, I couldn't see why every team in baseball wouldn't want him on their team.

"Certainly, he will get some huge offers in the offseason. So for us right now, we are just trying to enjoy while we're together, enjoy the fact that he's still a member of the Milwaukee Brewers and accomplish as much as we can this year."