Shane Victorino honored for kids' work
Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino is the winner of the 2011 Branch Rickey Award in recognition of his work with youth in Philadelphia and his native Hawaii.
Created by the Rotary Club of Denver in 1991, the Branch Rickey Award honors individuals in baseball who contribute to their communities and are strong role models for young people.
Victorino will be honored at a banquet in Denver on Nov. 12.
Last year, Victorino and his wife, Melissa, founded the Shane Victorino Foundation to help underserved youth and they pledged nearly $1 million to renovate the Nicetown Boys & Girls Club in Philadelphia.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Philadelphia Phillies Dri-FIT Carbon Logo Red Quarter-Zip Long Sleeve Shirt