Brett Lawrie to miss rest of season
TORONTO -- Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie has broken his right middle finger and will miss the rest of the season.
The 21-year-old rookie was injured while fielding ground balls during batting practice before Toronto played the Los Angeles Angels on Wednesday night. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
The promising prospect got off to a solid start after being called up for his major league debut on Aug. 5. He was hitting .293 with nine homers and 25 RBIs in 43 games.
Lawrie also broke his left hand on May 31, when he was hit by a pitch playing with Triple-A Las Vegas.
Edwin Encarnacion took his place at third base.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Halladay retiring Monday as Jay
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- MLB denied A's move to San Jose in June
- Schilling replacing Hershiser in ESPN booth
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Toronto Blue Jays Quarter-Zip Silver Ice Pullover