Peter Moylan to miss 6 months
But there is a bright side for Moylan. He tweeted that his upcoming surgery is more of a cleanup than a total repair of the shoulder. That should reduce the recovery time to about six months, instead of most or all of the 2012 season.
Moylan was diagnosed last week by team doctors. Dr. James Andrews confirmed Monday that the pitcher will need the third major operation of his career.
A ground-ball specialist, Moylan already has missed most of this season after surgery for a bulging disk in his back. Moylan previously had ligament replacement surgery in his elbow, knocking him out for most of 2008.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Lester, Ross carry Red Sox past White Sox
- Sizemore's scoop caps Yankees' triple play
- Cards' Wainwright 2-hits error-prone Nats
- Sabathia pitches Yankees past Price, Rays
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Atlanta Braves Dan Uggla #26 Alternate Ivory Jersey