Manny Ramirez files not-guilty plea
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Former baseball star Manny Ramirez has pleaded not guilty to a domestic battery charge involving his wife.
Ramirez's attorney filed the written plea ahead of Friday's scheduled arraignment. Ramirez did not appear at the hearing. He is free on $2,500 bail.
The 2004 World Series MVP was arrested Sept. 12. His wife told investigators Ramirez slapped her, causing her head to strike a bed headboard. Ramirez has denied slapping her.
He retired in April from the Tampa Bay Rays rather than serve a 100-game suspension after testing positive a second time for a performance-enhancing substance.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- McGrady makes Skeeters' roster as pitcher
- Cubs say absent Sosa must make amends
- Marrero, oldest ex-MLB player, dies at 102
- Rangers' Beltre, Harrison to return on weekend
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Los Angeles Dodgers 39Thirty Neo Royal Flex Hat