Rockies' Drew Pomeranz arrested
Oxford police arrested Pomeranz at 1:25 a.m. local time; he was released on a cash bond at 4:40 a.m. Pomeranz was listed in jail documents by his first name Thomas.
The Rockies issued a statement Friday afternoon, saying they were aware of the "unfortunate incident" involving Pomeranz. It also said: "We have been in contact with Drew and his representatives and we will continue to gather more information. Both Drew and our organization understand the serious nature of the situation."
The left-handed pitcher was part of the Ubaldo Jimenez trade and made his major league debut in September. Pomeranz was 2-1 with a 5.40 ERA in four starts for the Rockies. He struck out 13 and walked five in 18 1/3 innings.
An All-American at Ole Miss in Oxford, Pomeranz was taken fifth overall in the 2010 draft by the Cleveland Indians.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Stanton's walk-off GS lifts Marlins over M's
- Pujols belts No. 497 in Angels' rout of Tigers
- Mets trade 1B Davis to Pirates for reliever
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Cleveland Indians Ubaldo Jimenez #30 Alternate Ivory Jersey