Buster Posey to get time at first base
Posey won the 2010 NL Rookie of the Year award as a catcher, but his past season ended in May after he was hurt in a bruising collision at home plate.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy says it would help Posey and the team for him to play some at first base next year. Bochy says Posey still wants to catch, but is open to spending time at another spot to stay fresh.
"We'd like to get him out there as much as we can without wearing him down," Bochy said Monday at baseball's winter meetings.
"With him coming off his injury, there's a little question how much we can catch him back there, and we'll know more in spring training," he said.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Lester, Ross carry Red Sox past White Sox
- Sizemore's scoop caps Yankees' triple play
- Cards' Wainwright 2-hits error-prone Nats
- Sabathia pitches Yankees past Price, Rays
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
WINTER MEETINGS DAY 1
HALL OF FAME
- Majestic Women's Replica San Francisco Giants Buster Posey #28 Alternate Orange Jersey