Source: Twins to add Josh Willingham
Kahrl: Twins Opt For Power
The addition of Josh Willingham will likely bolster the Twins' offense. But Christina Kahrl wonders what playing him in left field will do for Minnesota's already-shaky defense. Blog
Willingham, 32, is a career .262 hitter with 132 home runs for the Marlins, Nationals and Athletics. He batted .246 with a career-high 29 homers and 98 RBIs for Oakland in 2011.
Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Colorado and Boston are among the other clubs that expressed interest in Willingham during the free agent process.
Willingham's decision to sign with Minnesota will probably spell the end for incumbent outfielders Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel in Minnesota. The Twins selected Cuddyer in the first round of the 1997 first-year player draft, and he has spent his entire 10-year MLB career in a Minnesota uniform.
Jerry Crasnick is a senior baseball writer for ESPN.com.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Japan's Tanaka wants to move to MLB in 2014
- Roberts joining Yankees for post-Cano era
- Source: O's, closer Balfour agree to deal
- 2B Infante to help Royals take 'next step'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Oakland Athletics Double Climate On-Field Green Jacket