Nationals sign Mark DeRosa for bench
WASHINGTON -- The Washington Nationals have signed free-agent utility player Mark DeRosa to a one-year contact.
The 36-year-old Rosa has a .272 average with six clubs over 14 major league seasons. He was limited over the last two seasons after twice needing surgery on his left wrist.
He hit .279 in 86 at-bats this year with the San Francisco Giants.
The signing on Wednesday gives the Nationals some versatility on the bench. DeRosa has started games at six different positions during his career, including 75-plus starts at third base, second base, right field and shortstop.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nats' Werth to serve 5 days for driving 105
- Minaya leaves Padres to be MLBPA adviser
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
- Pearce, O's agree to $3.7M, 1-year contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Home Game Jersey New York Giants Eli Manning #10