MLB: Yoenis Cespedes can negotiate
NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball has told teams that Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes is eligible to negotiate with big league teams.
The commissioner's office notified clubs on Wednesday, a day after Cespedes established legal residency in the Dominican Republic.
His agent, Edgar Mercedes, confirmed the residency in a telephone interview Tuesday.
MLB said Cespedes cannot finalize a contract until he obtains an unblocking license from the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control because he is a Cuban national who has established residency in another country.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander tabbed to start 7th opener in row
- Mets' Niese cleared to throw, sources say
- Feldman to start Astros' opener vs. Yankees
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Baltimore Orioles Full-Zip Black Ice Jacket