MLB: Yoenis Cespedes can negotiate
NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball has told teams that Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes is eligible to negotiate with big league teams.
The commissioner's office notified clubs on Wednesday, a day after Cespedes established legal residency in the Dominican Republic.
His agent, Edgar Mercedes, confirmed the residency in a telephone interview Tuesday.
MLB said Cespedes cannot finalize a contract until he obtains an unblocking license from the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control because he is a Cuban national who has established residency in another country.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Jeter: Will miss Cano, not surprised he left
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Miami Marlins Giancarlo Stanton #27 Alternate Orange Replica Jersey