Theo Epstein value in MLB's hands now
Epstein left as Boston's general manager with a year left on his contract to become president of baseball operations for the Cubs.
Epstein got a five-year, $18.5 million deal in late October. But the two teams have not been able to agree on compensation, and now it's up to Selig.
Selig said Friday night he'd like to have it done as quickly as possible. He said he gave the clubs more latitude in hopes they'd reach an agreement, but they couldn't. Selig said now it's his decision and that's OK, all part of the job.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- M's GM in defense: 'We've never deviated'
- Maddon: Rays must be ready for Price trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MORE FROM ESPN BOSTON
MORE FROM ESPN CHICAGO
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's Boston Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury Navy T-Shirt