Brad Penny signs with Softbank Hawks
FUKUOKA, Japan -- The Softbank Hawks of Japan's Pacific League have signed former major league pitcher Brad Penny to a one-year contract.
Softbank announced the signing of free agent Penny on its website Sunday.
The 33-year-old right-hander is expected to arrive in Japan on Wednesday. Financial terms of the deal were not released.
Penny went 11-11 last season for the Detroit Tigers with a 5.30 ERA and 74 strikeouts in 31 games. Penny has a 119-99 record and a 4.23 ERA over a 12-year major league career that included stints with the Florida Marlins, the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Boston Red Sox, the San Francisco Giants and the St. Louis Cardinals.St. Louis Cardinals
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Papi's pitch: Red Sox shouldn't trade Lester
- Archer on Papi: Never saw Aaron flip his bat
- Lane change: Ex-OF gets 1st start for Padres
- Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox title ring
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Los Angeles Dodgers Yasiel Puig #66 Royal T-Shirt