Anibal Sanchez wins in arbitration
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Miami Marlins pitcher Anibal Sanchez became the first player to win in salary arbitration this year when a three-person panel awarded him $8 million rather than the team's offer of $6.9 million.
Arbitrators Elizabeth Neumeier, James Oldham and Gil Vernon made the decision Monday, three days after hearing arguments.
Sanchez, who is eligible for free agency after this season, was 8-9 with a 3.67 ERA in 32 starts last year, when he struck out 202 in 196 1/3 innings. He made $3.7 million.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Washington Nationals Breakers Scoop Neck Long Sleeve Shirt