Yoenis Cespedes might leave U.S.
Yoenis Cespedes, who met with the Miami Marlins and toured their new ballpark on Wednesday, could head back to the Dominican Republic as early as Thursday, said his agent, Adam Katz.
"Nothing is scheduled for now," Katz said when asked if he and Cespedes plan to meet with other teams before the 26-year-old Cuban outfielder departs. He declined to say whether Cespedes had met with other clubs besides the Marlins since he arrived in Miami on Tuesday.
Cespedes had lunch Wednesday with Marlins president David Samson, executive vice president Larry Beinfest and general manager Mike Hill, then got a firsthand look at the Marlins' new park, which is located in Miami's Little Havana neighborhood and is set to open in April.
"We had a good meeting," Katz said. "They made a very impressive presentation. Discussions are ongoing and productive. But there are several other teams in the mix."
Katz wouldn't disclose whether the Marlins had made Cespedes an offer. And Marlins president David Samson declined comment Thursday.
"We're just going to let the process play out," Samson said.
Tuesday, Samson said the club has been "negotiating aggressively" in its pursuit of Cespedes, but drew a distinction between Miami's interest in Cespedes and its signings of Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell earlier in the offseason. He said the Marlins view Cespedes as a signing that could "put the cherry on top" of a feverish offseason, but have already established clear limits on their bidding for a player with no track record in professional baseball.
Jayson Stark is a senior baseball writer for ESPN.com.