Joel Zumaya to have elbow surgery
Twins general manager Terry Ryan confirmed Sunday that Zumaya made the decision this weekend. Noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews will perform the Tommy John ligament replacement procedure on Zumaya's throwing arm later this month.
Ryan said the Twins wanted to give Zumaya as much time as he needed to decided. He'll need a year to recover and rehabilitate.
Zumaya tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow on his first bullpen session of spring training with his new team. Zumaya didn't pitch in the majors last season after recovering from a different elbow injury. He left Detroit to sign a one-year contract with the Twins for $400,000 guaranteed.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Agent: Lester didn't tell Sox contract terms
- Jeter passes Yaz for seventh on MLB hits list
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Personalized Replica Minnesota Twins Alternate Ivory Jersey