Joel Zumaya to have elbow surgery
Twins general manager Terry Ryan confirmed Sunday that Zumaya made the decision this weekend. Noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews will perform the Tommy John ligament replacement procedure on Zumaya's throwing arm later this month.
Ryan said the Twins wanted to give Zumaya as much time as he needed to decided. He'll need a year to recover and rehabilitate.
Zumaya tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow on his first bullpen session of spring training with his new team. Zumaya didn't pitch in the majors last season after recovering from a different elbow injury. He left Detroit to sign a one-year contract with the Twins for $400,000 guaranteed.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
- Rakuten prez: No decision on Tanaka's future
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Minnesota Twins Showtime Red V-Neck T-Shirt