Roberto Hernandez strikes a deal
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Dominican Republic prosecutors say Cleveland Indians pitcher Roberto Hernandez has agreed to a deal to have false identity charges against him dropped in return for completing a work program in his Caribbean homeland.
Court documents obtained Monday by The Associated Press show how the deal was obtained.
Formerly known as Fausto Carmona, Hernandez was placed on baseball's restricted list after he was arrested in the Dominican Republic last month. Authorities say he is 31, three years older than the pitcher claimed.
Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said the team is monitoring "the developments related to Roberto's return to the United States and remain in touch with his representatives."
"We are not able to elaborate beyond that at this point," he said in an email.
Carmona is due to make $7 million this year, and the Indians hold options for 2013 at $9 million and 2014 at $12 million.
After winning 19 games in 2007, Carmona followed up with a disappointing 2008 season, and in 2009 the club sent him to the lower minors to work on his mechanics.
Carmona rebounded to win 13 games in 2010 in manager Manny Acta's first season, and went 7-15 last season. He was expected to be part of the starting rotation this season.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Tanaka leads Yanks; 28 K's in 1st 3 games
- Astros call up prized outfield prospect Springer
- Cueto shuts out Pirates, K's career-high 12
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Sparo Men's Cleveland Indians Turbo Watch