No more surgery for Victor Martinez
Martinez had microfracture surgery in January and had the medial and lateral meniscus in his left knee repaired. He was expected to need another operation for the ACL, but the team says Dr. Richard Steadman determined that wouldn't be necessary. Steadman did perform a procedure recently to help the ACL heal.
Manager Jim Leyland says it's "as good a news as (Martinez) could have got" -- but insists it's too early to speculate on a timetable for his return. The team says any chance of Martinez returning to play late this season would be determined when he has a follow-up MRI in July.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Detroit Tigers Victor Martinez #41 Home White Jersey