Cardinals scratch David Freese
The Cardinals said Freese was suffering from irritation on a finger of his right hand. He got hurt during an at-bat in Friday's home opener against the Chicago Cubs.
The Cardinals inserted Tyler Greene in the lineup to play second base. First baseman Matt Carpenter moved up two spots in the lineup to bat fifth in Freese's spot. Daniel Descalso moved up a spot from eighth to seventh to take Carpenter's spot and Greene was in the eighth slot.
Carpenter remains in the lineup in place of Lance Berkman, who is listed as day to day with a strained left calf.
Freese is listed as day to day by the Cardinals.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Chicago Cubs Full-Zip Blended Royal Hoodie