Kyle Blanks to have shoulder surgery
SAN DIEGO -- Padres infielder-outfielder Kyle Blanks will undergo season-ending surgery on his left shoulder, the second time he's had a year cut short by a major operation.
The Padres provided the update Sunday.
Blanks tore his labrum while swinging a bat. He missed time in spring training with the injury, but started the season with San Diego and played in four games before going on the disabled list on April 14.
The 25-year-old Blanks had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow that ended his 2010 season. Blanks has a career .219 average with 20 homers over parts of four seasons with San Diego.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Stanton's walk-off GS lifts Marlins over M's
- Pujols belts No. 497 in Angels' rout of Tigers
- Mets trade 1B Davis to Pirates for reliever
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's San Diego Padres Victory Navy Tri-Blend T-Shirt