Kyle Blanks to have shoulder surgery
SAN DIEGO -- Padres infielder-outfielder Kyle Blanks will undergo season-ending surgery on his left shoulder, the second time he's had a year cut short by a major operation.
The Padres provided the update Sunday.
Blanks tore his labrum while swinging a bat. He missed time in spring training with the injury, but started the season with San Diego and played in four games before going on the disabled list on April 14.
The 25-year-old Blanks had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow that ended his 2010 season. Blanks has a career .219 average with 20 homers over parts of four seasons with San Diego.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- McGrady makes Skeeters' roster as pitcher
- Cubs say absent Sosa must make amends
- Marrero, oldest ex-MLB player, dies at 102
- Rangers' Beltre, Harrison to return on weekend
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Sparo Women's San Diego Padres Charm Watch