Hideki Matsui close to deal with Rays
The source told Olney the Rays want to add to their depth at Triple-A Durham and to see how much is left in the slugger's bat.
Matsui, 37, spent last seaon with the Oakland Athletics, posting a .251 batting average with 12 home runs and 78 RBIs.
He spent his first seven MLB seasons with the Yankees where he was a two-time All-Star and won the 2009 World Series MVP.
Matsui was a star in Japan prior to signing with the Yankees, hitting .304 with 332 home runs in nine seasons with the Yomiuri Giants.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's New York Yankees Derek Jeter Navy T-Shirt