Hideki Matsui close to deal with Rays
The source told Olney the Rays want to add to their depth at Triple-A Durham and to see how much is left in the slugger's bat.
Matsui, 37, spent last seaon with the Oakland Athletics, posting a .251 batting average with 12 home runs and 78 RBIs.
He spent his first seven MLB seasons with the Yankees where he was a two-time All-Star and won the 2009 World Series MVP.
Matsui was a star in Japan prior to signing with the Yankees, hitting .304 with 332 home runs in nine seasons with the Yomiuri Giants.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's New York Yankees Mariano Rivera #42 Authentic Road Grey On-Field Jersey