Lefty Francisco Liriano being skipped
Manager Ron Gardenhire said Monday he had a long talk with Liriano, who emerged "really confident" in the plan.
Gardenhire says he doesn't want to make Liriano a reliever, even temporarily. So he'll throw bullpen sessions Thursday and Saturday and return to the rotation May 1 when the Twins visit the Los Angeles Angels.
Liriano is 0-3 with an 11.02 ERA in four starts after his latest collapse Sunday. Opponents are hitting .368 against him, and he has walked 13 batters in 16 1/3 innings.
The Twins also scratched second baseman Alexi Casilla from the lineup Monday night against Boston because of an illness.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- 5th & Ocean Women's Minnesota Twins Navy Racerback Tank Top