Lefty Francisco Liriano being skipped
Manager Ron Gardenhire said Monday he had a long talk with Liriano, who emerged "really confident" in the plan.
Gardenhire says he doesn't want to make Liriano a reliever, even temporarily. So he'll throw bullpen sessions Thursday and Saturday and return to the rotation May 1 when the Twins visit the Los Angeles Angels.
Liriano is 0-3 with an 11.02 ERA in four starts after his latest collapse Sunday. Opponents are hitting .368 against him, and he has walked 13 batters in 16 1/3 innings.
The Twins also scratched second baseman Alexi Casilla from the lineup Monday night against Boston because of an illness.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Mets pitching coach apologizes for Asian slur
- Brewers' Garza confident despite 19.06 ERA
- Tulowitzki hit by pitch on leg, is day to day
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Youth Los Angeles Angels 59Fifty Home Red Authentic Hat