Rays sign OF Hideki Matsui
Tampa Bay wants to add depth in the outfield and at designated hitter. The 37-year-old has played nine seasons in the major leagues, including seven with the New York Yankees.
Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman announced the deal Monday, calling Matsui "one of the most consistently productive hitters in the world" over the past two decades.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Pirates' Worley blanks Giants with 4-hitter
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's New York Yankees Fan V-Neck White Half-Sleeve Shirt