Rays sign OF Hideki Matsui
Tampa Bay wants to add depth in the outfield and at designated hitter. The 37-year-old has played nine seasons in the major leagues, including seven with the New York Yankees.
Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman announced the deal Monday, calling Matsui "one of the most consistently productive hitters in the world" over the past two decades.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic New York Yankees C.C. Sabathia #52 Road Grey On-Field Jersey