Phillies place Jim Thome on DL
ATLANTA -- The Philadelphia Phillies have placed first baseman Jim Thome on the 15-day disabled list and recalled catcher Erik Kratz from Triple-A Lehigh Valley for Wednesday night's game against Atlanta.
Thome has not played since leaving Saturday night's game with tightness on the left side of his lower back. The move was made retroactive to Sunday.
The 41-year-old Thome is hitting .111 with no homers or RBIs and 10 strikeouts in 18 at-bats.
Kratz, who hit .294 with three homers and nine RBIs at Lehigh Valley, will fill Thome's primary role as a pinch-hitter. The 31-year-old Kratz hit a combined .150 in brief appearances with Pittsburgh in 2010 and the Phillies last season.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Robinson debut
- Napoli exits with hurt finger after headfirst slide
- Rays P Moore needs season-ending surgery
- Astros prospect Springer: Headed to Houston
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Philadelphia Phillies Dawn Cadet Red Adjustable Hat