Reports: Mat Gamel needs surgery
SAN DIEGO -- Milwaukee media outlets are reporting that Brewers first baseman Mat Gamel needs surgery for a torn ligament in his right knee and is expected to miss a significant amount of the season.
Gamel was hurt chasing a foul popup in Tuesday's loss to the Padres and underwent an MRI exam after the game.
According to the reports, general manager Doug Melvin stopped short of declaring Gamel out for the season.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's San Diego Padres Full-Zip Navy Ice Jacket