Jose Valverde (back) day to day
DETROIT -- Detroit manager Jim Leyland says closer Jose Valverde is day to day with a strained lower back.
Valverde was taken out of Detroit's victory over the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday, and Leyland says if Valverde is unable to pitch, Joaquin Benoit probably would be the primary candidate to close games. However, the Detroit manager says it could depend on the situation and he "wouldn't etch that in stone."
Valverde converted all 49 of his save chances last year but has struggled in 2012. He's 2-1 with a 5.51 ERA this year, and he's already blown two saves in nine chances. He's walked 12 and struck out 14.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees' Pineda banned 10 games by MLB
- Wrigley cake ends up down in the dumps
- Tommy John stunned by surgery 'epidemic'
- Sosa to 'clear it up,' sad to miss Cubs party
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Chicago White Sox Black/Grey Track Jacket