Lance Berkman surgery delayed
The 36-year-old first baseman is on the 15-day disabled list after getting hurt stretching to receive a throw on Saturday. The team anticipates he will be out at least six to eight weeks after Friday's surgery, and Berkman could miss the remainder of the season if there's extensive ligament damage.
Berkman was the NL comeback player of the year last season but has played just 13 games this season, also missing significant time with a pulled left calf muscle. He's batting .333 with a home run and four RBIs.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's St. Louis Cardinals Dri-FIT Legend Team Issue Navy Performance T-Shirt