Lance Berkman surgery delayed
The 36-year-old first baseman is on the 15-day disabled list after getting hurt stretching to receive a throw on Saturday. The team anticipates he will be out at least six to eight weeks after Friday's surgery, and Berkman could miss the remainder of the season if there's extensive ligament damage.
Berkman was the NL comeback player of the year last season but has played just 13 games this season, also missing significant time with a pulled left calf muscle. He's batting .333 with a home run and four RBIs.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica St. Louis Cardinals Ozzie Smith #1 Light Blue Cooperstown Jersey