Lance Berkman surgery delayed
The 36-year-old first baseman is on the 15-day disabled list after getting hurt stretching to receive a throw on Saturday. The team anticipates he will be out at least six to eight weeks after Friday's surgery, and Berkman could miss the remainder of the season if there's extensive ligament damage.
Berkman was the NL comeback player of the year last season but has played just 13 games this season, also missing significant time with a pulled left calf muscle. He's batting .333 with a home run and four RBIs.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mets send first baseman Davis to Pirates
- Ortiz, Red Sox anticipate emotional Monday
- Reyes to be activated by Blue Jays on Saturday
- Reds closer Chapman cleared to throw BP
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth St. Louis Cardinals Batter climalite Navy T-Shirt