Juan Carlos Oviedo suspended
The reliever can participate in extended spring training and will be eligible to play in the major leagues July 23. He'll be eligible for one rehabilitation assignment in the minor leagues for a maximum 16 days.
Oviedo was caught playing under the fake name of Leo Nunez and spent the offseason in the Dominican Republic clearing up his immigration status. He said Friday he had received a visa from the U.S. government and would be in Florida on Monday.
Now 30, a year older than previously listed, he played as Nunez for seven major league seasons and had 36 saves and a 4.06 ERA in 68 games for the Marlins in 2011.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
- Indians recall Salazar to start against Twins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Youth Miami Marlins Basic Black Adjustable Hat