Braves send down Tyler Pastornicky
Andrelton Simmons, who is hitting .292 at Double-A Mississippi, was called up and is expected to take over the starting job.
General manager Frank Wren said Simmons has "special talents" at shortstop. Simmons almost beat out Pastornicky in spring training.
The team is off Thursday. Simmons will join the team for Friday's first game of a weekend series at Washington.
Pastornicky was hitting .248 with seven errors as the primary starter.
Veteran Jack Wilson started at shortstop against the Cardinals on Wednesday and had an error.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Dodgers OF Crawford to skip Australia series
- Rays OF Myers leaves with a bruised quad
- Matheny glad MLB trying to cut out collisions
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Atlanta Braves Jason Heyward #22 Alternate Ivory Jersey