Nick Markakis to have surgery Friday
The procedure will be performed by Dr. Brian Schofield, a hand specialist.
The injury is believed to have occurred more than a week ago when Markakis slid into a base. He then aggravated it during his final at-bat Tuesday against the Toronto Blue Jays.
The Baltimore Sun reported Thursday that Markakis is expected to miss 2-4 weeks.
The Orioles had feared worse.
"If you had told me that was what it was going to be, I would have signed up for it in blood," manager Buck Showalter told MLB.com on Thursday. "It's not that bad."
This will be the first trip to the disabled list for the 28-year-old Markakis, one of Baltimore's most durable players. He played in at least 160 games in each of the previous three seasons and never has participated in fewer than 147 in a single season since coming into the league in 2006.Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
- Indians recall Salazar to start against Twins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Baltimore Orioles Nick Markakis #21 Cool Base Alternate Black On-Field Jersey