Chase Utley to rehab in Clearwater
PHILADELPHIA -- Phillies second baseman Chase Utley, out all season with an injured left knee, will begin a rehabilitation assignment Monday at extended spring training in Clearwater, Fla.
The five-time All-Star gave no timetable Sunday for a possible return to the Philadelphia lineup.
Utley's career has been sidetracked the last 2½ seasons because of injuries to his hip and knees. He has been working on strengthening the area around his left knee to take away the pain he experienced during spring training.
Utley says he excited about progress he's made during the last few months and is ready to take the next step.
"Right now, I'm feeling pretty good," he said. "Still not perfect yet, but we're getting there and we're on the verge of getting a lot better."
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Yankees' Nova leaves with injury, gets MRI
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Braves pull Kimbrel in 9th, hang on for win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Philadelphia Phillies Chase Utley #26 Red T-Shirt