Rockies bringing back Jeff Francis
To make room on the roster for Francis, the Rockies designated reliever Esmil Rogers for assignment.
Francis, 31, was the Rockies' first-round draft pick in 2002 and from 2004-2010, he went 55-50 with a 4.77 ERA in 150 starts for Colorado. In 2007, when the Rockies went to the World Series, Francis went 17-9 with a 4.22 ERA.
Shoulder problems cost him the entire 2009 season. He went 6-16 with a 4.82 ERA for Kansas City last year.
He signed a minor league contract this year with Cincinnati with an opt-out date of June 1. At Triple-A Louisville, he went 3-6 with a 3.72 ERA.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Red Sox notch walk-off victory on O's error
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Cincinnati Reds Kick Off Tri-Blend Red T-Shirt