Rockies bringing back Jeff Francis
To make room on the roster for Francis, the Rockies designated reliever Esmil Rogers for assignment.
Francis, 31, was the Rockies' first-round draft pick in 2002 and from 2004-2010, he went 55-50 with a 4.77 ERA in 150 starts for Colorado. In 2007, when the Rockies went to the World Series, Francis went 17-9 with a 4.22 ERA.
Shoulder problems cost him the entire 2009 season. He went 6-16 with a 4.82 ERA for Kansas City last year.
He signed a minor league contract this year with Cincinnati with an opt-out date of June 1. At Triple-A Louisville, he went 3-6 with a 3.72 ERA.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees' Pineda banned 10 games by MLB
- Wrigley cake ends up down in the dumps
- Tommy John stunned by surgery 'epidemic'
- Sosa to 'clear it up,' sad to miss Cubs party
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Authentic Cincinnati Reds Brandon Phillips #4 Cool Base Alternate Camo Jersey