Report: Tony Gwynn owes $400K
SAN DIEGO -- Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, who has joined with movie producer Thomas Tull in an effort to buy the San Diego Padres, owes more than $400,000 in unpaid federal income taxes, the UT San Diego reported Saturday.
According to the newspaper, tax notices show Gwynn owes the government money from 2003, '07 and '09.
Gwynn said last month he is working with Tull, the CEO of Legendary Pictures and one of several prospective owners trying to buy the Padres from majority owner John Moores.
Gwynn's tax attorney, Mitch Dubick, says his client is working to pay down the taxes and doesn't believe the issue will have a bearing on his role with the ownership group.
Gwynn, who played with the Padres during his career, is San Diego State's baseball coach.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards' Lynn gets win, improves to NL-best 4-0
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Mets trade 1B Davis to Pirates for reliever
- Nationals activate Span from concussion DL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Los Angeles Dodgers Clean Up Pink Adjustable Hat