Report: Tony Gwynn owes $400K
SAN DIEGO -- Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, who has joined with movie producer Thomas Tull in an effort to buy the San Diego Padres, owes more than $400,000 in unpaid federal income taxes, the UT San Diego reported Saturday.
According to the newspaper, tax notices show Gwynn owes the government money from 2003, '07 and '09.
Gwynn said last month he is working with Tull, the CEO of Legendary Pictures and one of several prospective owners trying to buy the Padres from majority owner John Moores.
Gwynn's tax attorney, Mitch Dubick, says his client is working to pay down the taxes and doesn't believe the issue will have a bearing on his role with the ownership group.
Gwynn, who played with the Padres during his career, is San Diego State's baseball coach.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Los Angeles Dodgers White Cooperstown Jersey