Carlos Beltran (virus) out of lineup
ST. LOUIS -- Cardinals right fielder Carlos Beltran is out of the lineup for Thursday night's game against the Chicago White Sox because of a stomach virus, one day after hitting his NL-leading 19th home run.
St. Louis manager Mike Matheny said Beltran went straight home after Wednesday night's 1-0 win over Chicago. Matheny said Beltran's condition became worse and he went to the emergency room at a local hospital. The manager believes Beltran did not spend the night at the hospital.
Matheny said Beltran "possibly" might be available to pinch-hit, if necessary.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
- Rakuten prez: No decision on Tanaka's future
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's St. Louis Cardinals Classic Full-Zip White Hoodie